Reflecting on the last year, there are many tough conversations that have started, are taking place in the present moment, and have yet to be had.
Tough conversations often create discomfort and can lead to avoidance. There may be a reluctance to speak up due to fear of consequences. What will people think? How do I manage my own anxiety? Consider for a moment that remaining silent during tough conversations also communicates a message. What message do you wish to convey?
Having tough conversations, including conversations about racial inequalities and social justice is important as we share responsibilities in our responses, and act in alignment with our values. At CARE, we are committed to diversity and human rights; therefore, we seek to create space for dialogue while being mindful and compassionate.
As we encounter others within a conversation, being mindful and compassionate can make a huge difference.
Here are Some Ways to Practice Being Mindful and Compassionate in Tough Conversations
• Recognize and embrace our common humanity.
• Take care of yourself to be fully present for others.
• Step outside your comfort zone and lean into discomfort.
• Focus on relationship building. This includes people who are different than you.
• Practice having intentional dialogue using interpersonal effectiveness skills.
• Listen to understand. Be patient with others.
• Hold space for others’ pain—their stories, others’ experiences, and viewpoints.
• Notice what is going on in your body.
• Practicing mindfulness and self-compassion, offering yourself and others loving-kindness.
Written By: Charlotte Johnson MA, LPCC
We’re Here to help
Our wellness experts will be happy to take care of you. You can CLICK HERE to schedule an appointment now or call (612)223-8898.
We’re united by our commitment to providing effective, relevant, and innovative mental health support at all stages of your journey. Click Here to find out more about who we are, where we come from, and how we live out CARE’s mission every day.
The professionals at CARE are actively collecting and creating resources to help with what you need. We’re Here for You.
CARE COUNSELING LOCATIONS
Edina : 3601 Minnesota Dr., Ste.575, Edina, MN 55435
Bloomington : 7400 109th Street West, Bloomington, MN 55438
Loring Park : 310 Clifton Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55403
Mankato : 1650 Madison Ave, Suite 102, Mankato, Minnesota, 56001
Maple Grove : COMING SOON
Mendota Heights : 1155 Northland Dr., Mendota Heights, MN 55120
Minneapolis : 204 W Franklin Ave, Minneapolis, MN, 55404
Plymouth : 4100 Berkshire Ln N, Suite 250, Plymouth, MN 55446
St. Louis Park : 7601 Wayzata Blvd, Minneapolis, MN 55426
Please contact Thera-PAY, our billing provider (218) 301-3164