How To Show Yourself Kindness and Those Around You
We know the importance of being kind to others but are you also showing kindness to yourself? Showing kindness is one of the greatest forms of humanity, as kindness make a big difference in one’s life.
What steps can you take to show kindness to yourself and those around you? Here are some areas of reflect on for Random Acts of Kindness Week (February 14-20, 2021).
Take time to Notice and Express Kindness
Acknowledge and notice others that you encounter within your daily life. This can be difficult when one is busy and distracted.
Take small steps to show kindness such as connecting through eye contact, a smile, head nod, touch, conversation, or other gesture.
Engage with yourself and others in meaningful ways such as spending quality time, working on a project, or gifting a token of appreciation.
Be Gentle with Yourself and Others by Practicing Self-Compassion
• Use gentle, kind, and affirming words that build a strong sense of self.
• Offer yourself loving kindness in moments of suffering and offer compassion to others in times of suffering.
Show Kindness to Yourself by Taking Care of Your Body
• Eat healthy nourishing foods, exercise, rest, and treat physical and mental health.
• Seek support if you struggle with disordered eating, drug/ alcohol misuse, self-injurious behavior, and/ or engaging in risky or reckless behaviors.
Learn to “Let Go” and Forgive
• Let go of judgment, perfectionism, unrealistic standards, control, or other areas.
• “Permission-granting” can be a helpful way to allow yourself to be your authentic self and “let go”.
• Being able to forgive yourself and forgive others can be an incredible act of kindness.
• Consider how you choose to spend resources such as time and money; challenge yourself to use resources towards random acts of kindness.
• Help meet basic needs (e.g. food, clothing, shelter, companionship) and be an advocate for others.
• Be generous with your praise. Give yourself credit for your accomplishments and growth.
“Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all which have the potential to turn a life around”. –Leo Buscaglia
Our wellness experts will be happy to take care of you. You can CLICK HERE to schedule an appointment now or call (612)223-8898.
We’re united by our commitment to providing effective, relevant, and innovative mental health support at all stages of your journey. Click Here to find out more about who we are, where we come from, and how we live out CARE’s mission every day.