Are You Experiencing Burnout?
How is one to deal with burnout stress, especially with trying to balance the cumulative impacts of the pandemic-related stressors over the last three years? Many individuals and families are struggling with balancing the number of hours spent at work while trying to find the time and energy to engage in meaningful activities, schedule appointments, take care of daily responsibilities, and find time for themselves.
If you can relate to any of the questions below, then let’s help get some support to deal with burnout!
- Are you experiencing the “Sunday scaries”—starting to feel anxious and dread the week before it has started? Did you find it difficult to get out of bed to start your workday? Perhaps there are things going on in your environment that feel out of control such as increased demands and unpredictability.
- Do you feel that it is harder to find the energy to be productive and concentrate on work-related tasks? Perhaps you are feeling overwhelmed with the number of responsibilities, lack of clear training, or unrealistic expectations.
- Do you struggle with finding value and satisfaction in your work? Is there a disconnect between your expectations and the reality of your situation?
- Are you stressed out by the thought of interacting with those in your work environment? Are there toxic or dysfunctional dynamics that are impacting your mental health? Do you find that you are becoming more cynical, frustrated, irritable, or withdrawn in your interactions with your colleagues, customers, or clients?
- Is a lack of work-life balance contributing to burnout? If your job is currently taking an emotional toll on your mental health, you are feeling burnt out, possibly coping in maladaptive ways (e.g. substance use, social withdrawal) consider reaching out.
Here are 5 Strategies to Deal with Burnout Stress:
- Evaluate the factors that are within your control and factors that are outside of your control. Sometimes a change (both big and small) can make a huge impact.
- Identify appropriate sources of support to help address problem areas. Work options might include a supervisor, human resource manager, employee assistant program, or supportive co-worker. Family and friends can be great supports. Professional support can also assist, such as talking to a primary care doctor, therapist, or job coach for options.
- Explore your perception and current situation. Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) skills such as distress tolerance, problem solving, mindfulness, and radical acceptance are great skills.
- Create a routine. Since sleep, eating habits, and physical activity tend to be impacted during times of stress, getting grounded in a routine can help.
- Engage in relaxing self-care activities. Deep breathing, yoga, mindful meditation, coloring, art, and movement are a few ideas to help you unplug and relax. If you have personal time off (PTO), be sure to use this and take care of yourself.
Written By: Charlotte Johnson, MA, LPCC
We’re Here to help
Our wellness experts will be happy to take care of you. You can CLICK HERE to schedule an appointment now or call (612)223-8898.
We’re united by our commitment to providing effective, relevant, and innovative mental health support at all stages of your journey. Click Here to find a therapist or find out more about who we are, where we come from, and how we live out CARE’s mission every day.
The professionals at CARE are actively collecting and creating resources to help with what you need and address frequently asked questions. We’re Here for You.
CARE COUNSELING LOCATIONS
Edina : 3601 Minnesota Dr., Ste.575, Edina, MN 55435
Bloomington : 7400 109th Street West, Bloomington, MN 55438
Loring Park : 310 Clifton Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55403
Mankato : 1650 Madison Ave, Suite 102, Mankato, Minnesota, 56001
Mendota Heights : 1155 Northland Dr., Mendota Heights, MN 55120
Minneapolis : 204 W Franklin Ave, Minneapolis, MN, 55404
Plymouth : Coming Soon
St. Louis Park : 7601 Wayzata Blvd, Minneapolis, MN 55426
Please contact Thera-PAY, our billing provider (218) 301-3164